Tuesday, January 7, 2014

2014 NEW YEARS READING AND BLOGGING RESOLUTIONS


Hey Bookworms!

I typically do not set annual reading goals for myself, other than the Goodreads 2014 Reading Challenge. I tend not to set schedules for myself when it comes to reading; whether it be what to read, or when to read it. Also, this year is going to present itself with new challenges for me, that will take away previously free time to read. In June we are welcoming a baby into our family, and in September, my fiance and I getting married. I'm sure both of those will take up the time I would normally be reading, but I think it's for a good cause! And besides, babies do nap eventually, right?

So, without further ado, here are my goals for 2014:

1. Read more YA High/Fantasy. I fell in love with high/fantasy novels after reading The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson and Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas. I plan to finish the Fire and Thorns Series, and also branch out into more fantasy series that are out there.

2. Read more YA Contemporary/Romance. I tend to shy away from this genre unless a book is getting tons of attention, and the description really grabs me. I absolutely fell in love with Eleanor & Park and Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell in 2013, as well as This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales. I don't do the mushy, cutesy or love triangle thing, so the book has to really have substance. I also adored Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins, as well as the companion novel, Anna and the French Kiss. I'll aim for more of this style Contemporary/Romance to fulfill this goal.

3. Finally read The Mortal Instruments. I have had City of Bones sitting on my shelf for literally, years now, but I still haven't read it - even though I swore I would before the movie came out (Haven't seen that either!).

4. Finally read Allegiant by Veronica Roth. I reread Divergent last year with plans to read Insurgent and ultimately Allegiant and just never got to it. I will make that happen in 2014!

5. Read more Adult Historical Fiction. This is a genre that I read the most when I first started reading again as an adult (post-high school, when I could choose to read whatever I wanted!) I fell in love with Phillipa Gregory and ultimately moved on to Allison Weir, who hooked me with her book, Captive Queen: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine. I also adored Jennifer Donnelly's The Tea Rose, which has two more books in the series that I cannot wait to devour! Also, I'd love to finish up Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series as well. I've been on book #2 for awhile now, they're large and take time to read but are soooo good!

6. Branch out further into graphic novels. I've read a few in my time and enjoyed them. I'd really love to get my hands on the Vampire Academy graphic novels based on Richelle Mead's best-selling series, as well as the Beautiful Creatures books based on Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl's series.

Blog Resolutions

I also wanted to make a few resolutions pertaining to my blog as well. I know that I took a HUGE break from blogging later in 2013, but we have a brand new computer now, and I'm refreshed from the time away, so here are the plans I have for the blog this year:

1. Blog as often as I can while not letting it consume or overwhelm me. Expect at least two posts per week, more if time permits. I do not want to set myself on a post-a-day schedule again because that is when I tend to burn myself out. Keeping my posts-per-week lower will help me come up with quality posts for all of my wonderful readers!

2. I've mentioned before my hopes to start 'BookTubing' on YouTube in the past. My new laptop comes with a webcam that is not the greatest but definitely gets the job done. Once I get the hang of it, and figure out editing, I'm hoping to start using my YouTube account more.

3. Work on improving my reviews. I want to come up with a good format for my reviews to give you guys the best take on the books that I've read. I want to focus more on the fine points of the book rather than skimming over obvious points like plot, character, and writing. 

So this is what I have planned for my upcoming year. I'd love any recommendations or feedback from you guys, so go ahead and leave me some love in the comments below! Also, let me know what you plan for yourself for 2014!

Happy Reading!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Me Some Love :))